Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Day Job Dilemna

I'm anxiously sitting here at my admin job at quarter to 6 on a Wednesday waiting for my boss to leave, when what I REALLY want to be doing is standing in front of my microphone, figuring out a melody for one the new DCCs tracks.  But I know that by the time I take my 45 minute commute home, I will be starving and lifeless, and WORSE, creativity-less.  This lends to the age-old self-haunting question  -- when can I quit my day job? 
I'm a lucky one.  I know this.  I have a job, which is something a lot of people right now cannot say.  And it affords me to be able to live in kick-ass New York City and buy microphones and guitars.  But I can't help but wonder, how much do I really need this steady money, and what toll is this 40 hour work week taking on my songwriting?  I'd love to hear some thoughts from other artists...anyone?  Success stories?  Advice?

1 comment:

  1. Not specific to music or artists, but an inspiring read to damn traditional paths and follow your passion: Roadtrip Nation. I lost my copy 20 pages from the end while I was at SXSW and I'm still pissed about it!

    ReplyDelete